Whether you are a retail salesperson looking to improve your sales or a store owner looking to build a team of successful salespeople, these tips will help you.
These tips come from our retail sales training programs which communicate that every customer is different. A salesperson will need to learn to read the customer and adapt their approach to each individual. However, to be able to do this, they need a set of skills and a sales process to guide them through each sale.
- Choose your mindset. Customers will pick up on the energy you give out so make sure you give out a positive energy in the store and are genuinely interested in helping customers.
- Acknowledge ever customer that walks into your store. This doesn’t mean that you have to speak to every customer personally if they are already being helped by another salesperson. But rather, make sure you either smile, nod or acknowledge through body language the customers who walk into your store.
- Build rapport with the customer. Establish a mutual feeling of friendliness and make the customer feel comfortable in your store.
- Ask questions. One of the biggest pitfalls retail salespeople fall into is that they take the customer to the product without first understanding their needs. Ensure you ask the customer a series of questions to ensure you are recommending the best products for them.
- Talk about the benefits rather than features. Research shows that if you lead with features, you will receive more objections.
- Be knowledgeable about your products. Use the quiet times in store to learn more about your products.
- Listen to the customer! You have been given 2 ears and one mouth so make sure you listen twice as much as you speak.
- Maintain rapport when dealing with objections. Make sure the customer feels comfortable and don’t get defensive.
- Always cross sell. The best sales people around the work ask for the cross or up sell 100% of the time.
- Ask for the sale. It is a salespersons job to close the sale and the customer will expect you to do this.
These tips can help you to improve your sales skills and teach others how to improve their sales skills as well.